The SHED gallery project was developed as a way of providing an exhibition space for Pool Arts members and to train members in all aspects of running an exhibition from promotion to hanging.
The SHED gallery also functions as an art work in its own right. It was first shown at Manchester International Arts’ Garden of Delights festival, when Pool Arts showed 10 exhibitions in 3 days! A film was created using CCTV in the SHED to document the project, this was shown in 2006 on The Big Screen in conjunction with Cornerhouse.
In 2005, Pool Arts presented another exhibition in the SHED: International Pound World dealt with the subject of globalisation and commercialisation through the use of materials purchased exclusively at Pond Shops in the local area. In 2006, Pool Arts were invited to locate The SHED gallery permanently at Tonbridge Road allotments in Levenshulme, Manchester, and held GREEN a group exhibition during October 2006 as part of the Levenshulme Festival.
INVITATION TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS
SHED Gallery is a small art gallery based in a garden shed at Tonbridge Road Allotments in Levenshulme. It is managed by Pool Arts, a Manchester based artists organisation. Pool Arts are offering the chance for artists, artists groups and others to propose ideas for short term uses of the SHED space.
We expect to host 2 or 3 projects per year and we will help with publicity distribution. The SHED measures 6 x 8 feet and has no electricity supply or running water though there is a water tap elsewhere on the allotments. It is set on a community plot currently being developed by the Tonbridge Road allotment society Projects will be chosen by a panel of Pool Arts members on the criteria of artistic merit, originality, innovation and relevance to the site.
We expect a high number of applications, so bear in mind we are working with no budget and limited opportunities are available. Bear with us! We are looking for ideas for exhibitions, artist residencies and other events or projects. We will contact you as soon as possible following the deadline dates (see news page on pool arts website).
Your proposal should include:
- A side of A4 describing your idea.
- An outline of the costs and how long you will need the space before / during your project – don’t forget to include insurance for your work.
- How you propose to fund the project (Pool Arts is currently unable to offer any financial support).
- How you propose to publicise the event and your target audience.
- How you will you staff the event when its open to the public.
- Some images of your past work (JPEGS on a CD or prints).
- A relevant CV.
- Application fee of £5.00 to cover Pool Arts admin costs (at this stage we have no funding for this project).
- Stamped Addressed Envelope for return of your work / application.
Proposal deadlines are ongoing, please specify when you would like to exhibit; spring, summer, autumn or winter
Please mail your proposals to:
Pool Arts C/0 ST Lukes Art Project
OR Please use the contact section to send us an email.